Tuesday, March 09, 2010

LI's Blog from China

A blog by proxy given the problems posting from China as he struggles to establish pen pal relationships between Chinese and English junior school children. Here are some photos of Li's father's house where he is living at present.














Good afternoon! I know that the time in your country is eight hours later than in Beijing China. I should say "Good morning!" to you if I were in your country now. I am afraid I made you wait for the reply too long and it's my turn to beg your pardon this time.
I'm really very glad to receive your email and I read it more than three times and I read it the fourth time before I wrote this email. I wrote one email after I read yours twice then I read it back myself. I doubted it couldn't express my meaning clearly then I canceled it. I wrote one from ten yesterday evening to two this morning. I read it back and I felt a little satisfied with the content and then I was ready to send it. I also wanted to copy one for Dave. But I don't know why it couldn't display Dave's address when I searched it and then the email has been canceled with my error of operation. My God! The result I've spent nearly four hours for had gone immediately. Then I had to write it again today. And today is the first day of the new term in our primary school. Some teachers began coming to print their teaching plans and reflections and so on. I'm afraid I will still have to write it till very late tonight.
After dinner I came back to my office to start writing again. I have taken several photos before I stepped into my father's home for dinner so that I could send them to my penpal Cheryl and your pupils. Though I've taken a few before, it is not enough I think. And they are not good in their quality, either. I made them with my cellphone and I'm not a professional photographer. So I think it is better than none we have had.
Maybe we both have thought the same problem that is the potential hazards on line. I also think it is necessary to get permission from your pupils' parents. I've met the same problem and I think I've solved it well . First I've inspected my pupils' abilities. They must have had curiosity for English and known to learn it hard. Second I've managed to get their parents' ideas through a variety of ways. Third they could strive to write emails to me to practise writing English emails. I could guide their writing. Then they could get an address from me to write emails under their parents' strict supervision or with my help. When some senior students wanted to join, I mainly respected him/her determination and basic English level. Nearly none of them could write better though they had made a great determination. It has clearly shown us that they usually had too little chance writing. So I think they need more chance to practise writing than anyone else. But someone gave up before their difficulties. I think I'll give the help to the people who needs and I'll keep doing it to help more my pupils and others to improve their English. I'll strive to do it now that I've made my mind.
When I read your email and I wrote mine I came up with an idea gradually. I don't know whether I could contact directly with your pupils' parents whom you mentioned had been apprehensive. Here more and more teachers and students even some friends' friends or relations wanted my help to make foreign pen pals. But first they must pass my the most basic English proficiency test. So I often write more English emails to encourage them to practise writing.
What you asked me to do is a very good idea that with the photos we could learn and know more directly about the same points or differences between our two countries. Really I've ever seen many photos from Dave. The photos showed me your rich life and the beautiful environment around in your developed country. But here the environment around is still polluted seriously though our life level has been increased. I think that's because here it is a mining area but not a living quarter.
Here first I'll send you some photos of my father's home. And then I'll send more to you about mine and others.
Back to my own humble life, Simon couldn't fix the computer which has now had to go back top their workshops for investigation, hoping to have it done by Friday. Hopefully today I'll pick up the seedlings, heat is on in the greenhouse ready for them, it's still cold and frosty. Albert writes from Barcelona and has photos which I'll bring you later of heavy snow falls in the city with public transport at a standstill. A huge amount of photos on discs picked up from ASDA, some of the oldest Irish shots suffer from heat ( cold) damage in the attic but most are OK.






No comments: