Monday, September 29, 2008

OF SHOWBUS TRUCKS AND THE LAKES

Kendal last Thursday


At Shap
The end of the A6 at Penrith, north of Shap, a good photo spot, can't find any web site with photo location suggestions for lorries

Phew what a few days its been, not much time to stop and think so lets start to catch up. On Thursday I was up at Ambleside for a teatime presentation by apprentices from work who had been on an outdoor pursuits course at Brathay near Ambleside, this went on until late and I wasn't back home until nearly midnight. The next morning I was up early and on a days leave, I was dedicating the day to truck films staring down on the road through Monmouth. I was going to do the junction at M4 but it was covered in road works, so I had to retrace my journey by 30 miles, then eventually with the mist lifted it turned out to be a superb spot for lorries. Then I carried on down to Avonmouth docks where again I was faced with roadwork's. There wasn't that much traffic and this section slowed me down no end, still I'm sure that plenty of folk will find it of interest, all those scrap wagons perhaps. Next I head north a bit, up the M5 to Birdlip hill in Gloucestershire. Here the trucks thunder up the steep hill at a rare old speed except one guy who stared to sink backwards as I filmed. The sun shone all day just as I had hoped, the journey home started at 3.30 but it was about 6 before I'd made it through the slow crawl up past Birmingham to Cheshire, a horrid journey.
Then I had to pack the car ready for Showbus, left not too early on Saturday and got down to Cambridge about 10am, weather superb. The changes to lanes and running direction benefit photography by the bus station and it was superb, I soon rattled off enough film and of course there were lots of bus enthusiasts around as it was prior to the big rally. We stated at the Travel Lodge just on the A14 itself and had dinner in the nearby village of Fenstanton which was quite acceptable, the previous afternoon before I rounded off at Huntingdon we visited the National Trust property Anglesey Abbey, in the sun the gardens were beautiful and the house very intriguing, fit a lift and Mandy said she could have lived there! Showbus report tomorrow.
Struggling to get to grips with Amazon whose web sites are even worse than Ebay.

No comments: