Wednesday, February 17, 2010

LONDON TO CHINA VIA RUSSIA

yes lots of influences at work on today's blog but first my dip into the archive takes us to London in the RM era. I've uncovered my oldest Irish photos with half cabs in Dublin around 1979 - 80, these will form just part of a huge archive of stills covering the majority of the CIE fleet at the time plus some N Ireland plus railways.




















We are hoping to have three days in London giving it a good old bash in the spring. Meanwhile I'm editing the last of my Russian trip this evening which brings me up to date with latest film work and work which was underway when my equipment crashed. I'm looking at the Four Oaks catalogue this evening with a view to ordering up my spring seedlings for the greenhouse.
Over in China my friend Li has a lot going on in his life which I can't publish here but some general observations on the New Year festival from his email last night
Li wrote 'It is the third day of the Spring Festival in China today. It is going into the fourth day in some minutes later now.
I had very good time during these days. On the New Year's eve after we had dumplings we watched the Spring Festival Gala till 1:00 o'clock the next morning on which day it is also the first day of the Spring Festival. Of course as a traditional custom people began to ignite the plaited cannon from zero o'clock till morning continuously. Even some family couldn't wait the New Year they began igniting the plaited cannon on the Eve.
We had about four and a half hours rest then we got up early in the morning as a tradition. After we had some dumplings and some soup we went out to visit neighbours, friends and each others on the road we met to say :"Happy New Year!" with a smile or a salute with their hands on their chest but not a hug like western.If we were in our hometown we had a very big extended family and we should visit elders. My some younger fellow apprentices and I haven't forgot visiting our master Mr.Fu together. Of course we also went to see our master with some gifts several days before the Festival.
On the streets shops are all shut and everywhere the crowds are flowing. Their clothes especially the youth's and children's are new. Occasionally we might see one or two balloon vendors. But it was different from the first day more small stalls appeared in the streets in the second day and days later. We'll finish the Spring Festival after we'll have spent the Lantern Festival. So I think Chinese Spring Festival is the longest festival in the world. '
Well I'm off to Bills funeral tomorrow morning, its still cold and miserable here, got a lovely brochure on exotic luxurious cruises which would have been nice if we had scooped the £56M lottery win.

No comments: