Friday, May 22, 2009

ANOTHER NICE MESSAGE FROM CHINA

first some pictures from Widnes yesterday lunchtime,


including the anniversary liveried centenary bus in Widnes Corporation colours, a rare moment of sunshine between showers on n unseasonably cold day. We have got plenty of warm clothes packed for our trip to the Shetlands tomorrow. Probably no blog until a week Sunday but I'll do something if the opportunity arises.

Independents have always been a rarity in Widnes but there is usually something which turns up



from China our friend Li writes and enclosed his picture with his pupil who sparked off the correspondence,
Dear Dave and Mandy ,
Good evening! Am i right in thinking that whilst it is evening here it is at noon in your hometown. I'm very excited that you wrote back to me. I really have no words to express my feelings. It's wonderful that my students and I have the opportunity to practise English. I have passed your greetings to the little girl, Wang Xiaojie and her friends . Also to others in the same class who had been told this story and are amazed at it all. They couldn't have expected to meet you and your friends at Niu Er Zhuang Coal Mine, a poor little place which has had virtually no foreigners visitors before. My hometown is poor and seriously polluted by the open coke factories, more of which are being built. It is really different from your hometown which it is so beautiful with such a good environment. In Chinese it is "人间天堂", in English " terrestrial heaven".
My English is poor and it takes me a long time to write it to you and to read your e-mail. I couldn't understand it entirely though I tried my best. I think if your country were close you could get cheap coal from China and it would be the best quality in the world.
From your words " our transport interests are actually just a hobby rather than a business", this shows me your optimistic spirit. I think you have created a happy life.
I want to write more but it is too late today. I want to make friends with you though my English is very poor. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you my name, it's Li Shuangjin. I don't know if you know any Chinese.
We really do hope that one of the schools we have contacted makes an effort to write to Li's students, meanwhile I shall of course be writing back to my own pen pal Li!






No comments: