Tuesday, August 12, 2008

MARCHING THROUGH GEORGIA



Daniel in Cahir by the bridge outside the castle
looking down from Cahir castle



As august swings past like a bad dream with each day wetter than the last I can recall the clear sky last Saturday in Ireland when we watched shooting stars falling to earth in the crisp night air, by morning of course the clouds had gathered.
The clouds of war are at work in the Caucasus, I was in Gori in Georgia a few years back, the birthplace of Stalin it also has trolleybuses and we were dropped off there and headed back to Tbilisi by service bus, they wouldn't even accept our money for the fare. Their president did seem to miss judge events choosing to reaffirm sovereignty over the break away provinces when the Olympics were on, did he think Russia wouldn't notice, the people are paying the price and Russian pride stands loftily amongst its former colonies.
Now all the family have headed back south we have to start catching up on DVD orders and getting focused on the Lathalmond weekend ahead.
I've done a flyer for ordering my book, A Smudge on My Lens, pub 1st Sept Matador Press, its for signed copies at no extra cost, I think there are already a few hundred copies preordered through various outlets, you can get it through any bookshop including online outlets.
I wonder what my next project will be with the Chinese trip next Easter all arranged and the book published. My longed for long distance walk depends on the state of my knee next year. I managed to mow the lawns last night between showers and before the family got back from the Trafford Centre. The tomato plants had dried out and collapsed but I strung up the errant plants and soaked them well. A strict diet is probably my best choice of action but I fear Scotland will put paid to that.
At the beginning of September we have Heaton Park rally 7th Sept and at the end of September 28th Showbus. The end of August and middle of September remain possible dates for either rallies or trips depending on weather, we hope to get to Eastbourne, Brighton, Bournemouth, Swindon,Sth West Wales and do trucks in Wales, S West and Midlands.

No comments: