Wednesday, May 16, 2007

EXTRACT FROM DAVE'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY

Hi everyone,
not sure if anyone ever reads this stuff but herewith another extract from my book!

1978 age 26

By the rivers of Babylon I sat down and wept, so sang Boney M that year, I was still tuned in to Top of the Pops but for how much longer. The momentous events which would see the downfall of communist dictatorship were helped along with the election of Pope John Paul 2. Even for those with no interest in the Catholic religion his presence would be hard to ignore, such a charismatic and inherently holy person was I think a surprise for the Vatican. Not such a shock was the overdue fall of the Shah of Iran although his successors were a bunch of religious loonies who unlike the new Pope sought to rule by fear and their brand of Islam started a new chapter in the battle against Christianity and human rights making the old dictator look like a rank amateur.

The Bee Gees from Australia brought us the seminal Night Fever and became the kings of the disco, Boney M were one of the last groups I bought records of, their album was recorded in Germany, I think my very last ‘pop’ record was by Police. Meanwhile a strange noise emitted from Kate Bush with Wuthering Heights sort of edging on the punk world but in a classical context. The rest of the year continued with disco mania lead by John Travolta with the hits from Grease together with Olivia Newton John, even Rod Stewart seized on disco for a boast to his coffers with Do Ya Think I’m Sexy. The novelty act from close to home had been Brian & Michael recalling the painter LS Lowry in Matchstalk Men and more easy listening came from the Commodores with Three Times A Lady. Boney M seized the Christmas No1 with Mary’s Boy Child; we’ve seen that before at Christmas in 1957!

Meanwhile at 99 Egerton Rd South I had set up a dark room in the attic, a bit messy with no running water, dishes of chemicals and clothes regularly stained. I only did black and white, some of our first holidays to Cornwall were recoded, I remember the little Jersey cows at Canyon’s Quoit in particular, an ancient stone monumental building. One Sunday while Mandy was down with the horses I was up in the dark room developing when the door bell rang, you have top cover everything up being developed before exposing them to natural light, wash my hands, get down the ladder, downstairs to answer the door where stood two well dressed missionaries from everyone’s favourite religion, no thank you I said before they got into their patter and shut the door, I wasn’t rude but hadn’t the time to mess about, back then reversing the process , sage light back on, then again the door bell goers.

Not best pleased I went through the rigmarole again only to find the same two plonkers stood in front of me. How would I like it they said if someone shut the door in my face, ok I said, hang on a minute and I’ll be back. I went to the kitchen, half filled a bucket with water and returned to my little friends and chucked it over them, fine, now see how I enjoy playing silly buggers I shouted as they retreated spluttering down the path. When Mandy got home Margaret next door intercepted her, I don’t know what happened with Dave she said but we ended up with these two soaking wet Mormons in the kitchen crying their eyes out!

No comments: