Monday, July 09, 2007

I thought I'd get this one down before the incident receded in my mind. I tried to be a good boy and leave my car behind at Carlton Colville EATM and get the bus to Great Yarmouth on Saturday. I found the bus stop had no time table information or even the direction of travel, the stop was located on a blind corner which prevented views of approaching bus and almost put me in a life threatening position due to a kamikaze car manoeuvre.
The supposedly £5 ticket was actually two tickets for £7 which would get me on any First bus in ether Lowestoft or Gt Yarmouth areas. The elderly coach on the X2 to Lowestoft was boiling inside, it made me fell nauseous. The driver was friendly and very helpful to passengers including a bunch of foreign students. The vehicle was particularly unsuited to elderly and disabled pax of which there were several. Trim on the seat in front was secured by an uncovered bolt which I caught my knee on. Transfer to X1 at Lowestoft, bus pulled in but queue had to wait while drivers changed, then door shut while he settled himself in. The new driver had nothing but problems with ticketing, first two lads boarded they had a problem, I showed my tickets then sat down at front, he asked to see them again then demanded more money, I refused, told hi to fetch an inspector as I already felt overcharged. The inspector unravelled the tickets and found them correct, I got apologies but dirty looks from long queue which had formed, hence delayed departure. Most buses looked damaged and shabby. Although only about 12 miles the journey took hours. The return on the 1 was even worse, an ex Hong Kong tri axle deckers which wandered down every coastal lane smacking trees against the roof continuously, far too big for the roads negotiated, this trip took even longer. Thankfully a museum London Country RT took me swiftly and comfortably back to the museum from Lowestoft , by far the best journey.I'm a First Group shareholder, this does not do the image of the company any good at all although the fare certainly put a few bob in the coffers!

No comments: